Saturday, January 27, 2007

Where theres smoke theres Fire

Today started out pretty normal. Alittle laundry, alittle dusting and vacuuming, Mike was working on Amandas laptop and then poof-- we had a fire in the kitchen...thank goodness for the smoke detector.. It all happened very fast and that annoying sound was enough for me to get up and see what Mike was cooking. It turned out to be a grease fire in a pan on the stove. Lots and Lots of smoke, my range hood literally melted and that smell of burnt plastic has now permeated the entire house. In a matter of seconds you couldn't see across the room the smoke was so thick. Very scary! We used the fire extingisher and as quick as the stove engulfed in flames it was out.

What totally amazes me is that my insurance company (Nationwide) still hasn't come out. I called them immediately and then 4 hours later called again to be told to take pictures and save the burnt peices and any reciepts and they would eventually come some time next week!! I'm not sure where that leaves me.. I tried to clean up the blackened cabinets and the counters etc to get rid of the smell but it doesn't seem to be working to well. Everything is covered in a film of extingisher stuff and black smoke. And the more I clean the more the black stuff just moves around.
Tomorrow I will try and tackle somemore... perhaps a good nights sleep will have me better prepared to deal with the mess. And maybe just maybe Nationwide will show alittle concern for their customer...

1 comment:

kok said...

I hope things are getting better..but just remember it is stuff and things and thank God, no one was hurt. Hang in there girlfren!