Saturday, June 30, 2007

Icy Point Strait

Icy Point Strait was an amazing stop. We didn't have any planned excurisions for the day and weren't sure what was ahead of us... but it didn't take us long to realize this would become a favorite stop on our trip.





This was the only tender stop for us. And being Conceirge Class, we got preferencial treatment when disembarking onto the little boats to take us to shore. Once on shore we made our way to the the tours building and booked a tour for the Tribal Dancers. With a few hours to kill we made our way on the beach path that took us to a fire where we were each given the opportunity to make a wish and add our wood chip. This was a wonderful hike that circle around the beach and then into the rainforest. There is no other word than magical to describe the forest. The trail twisted and turned and we once again saw the wonderful rainforest that we had been learning so much about in earlier tours. I could have stayed there all day. While on the beach trail I couldn't help myself but to run down to the water and stick my toe in "Alaskan Water" Kinda a tradition thing for me... loving the water I seem to find a way to get a toe in everywhere we go....


The end of the path was a short walk to the Cultural dance center.
This was a production put on by natives living in Hoonah, the village right down the road. In true dress they explained their history, And what the tribe names meant that we saw on totems all over alaska. I even volunteered to get up and dance with them at the end of the show -- dressed in a cape I put my best moves out there doing a dance they taught us.



The old cannery (for Salamon) was now a museum and of course gift shops--- they gotta get their tourist dollar... we spent alittle time wandering through and I bought a wind chime made from Sitka Black deer hoves. The lady I bought it from actually killed the deer and made the chime... that is after eating venision all winter. Her little shop was filled with herbs in plastic bags that looked interesting but I wasn't sure how the customs agents would upon little baggies of green herbs in my suitcase so I passed on them--




In the cannery we learned exactly how a turn of the century cannery operated and even the marketing secrets-- did you know the labels changed frequently but the contents remained the same? They tried putting pictures of families on the cans at one point so people in the lower 48 would see the product as something the whole family would eat... just alittle factoid!





Because there was plenty of time left before the ship left at 4:30 Mike and I decided we wanted to once again do the nature trail again (I told you we love it!) This time we went through the forest first and then back to the beach trail...


Back on the ship it was another formal night-- The last of the cruise-- The staff puts on a great show bringing out dessert-- and then later at midnight they do a buffet-- its all sculpted food and Ice carvings... I was tired and the ships rocking had got to me so we didn't stay to eat-- but it was an incredible to see the artistry....

No comments: