Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas changes


So with more family in Florida this year and children that are no longer children I decided to try something new this year. I thought why not celebrate on Christmas eve? It didn't seem like it would be that big of a leap and it would allow for alittle more relaxation on Christmas. It didn't go off as well as I had hoped, as the rest of the family had other obligations. But change is something we have all had to adjust to lately and this change while unexpected was worth the try.

We did invite the "new" inlaws to come over and Mike and I spent the entire day... and when I say entire I mean we cooked from 9am til about 3:30. After many years of celebrating as a big family it had been awhile since we had cooked the whole meal....but in the end I can look back and say it was fun... and it was some good food. And since we were embracing the whole change thing we (I) agreed that Amanda could split her day with Dahls. AND bring Corey to open presents. While I admit I may have mentioned I wasn't sure how I felt about Strangers being there Christmas morning it did turn out ok. (yes I know hes not a stranger but still....) And with these little changes I realized our lives would be forever changed from this day forward. The kids were no longer children who were waiting for Santa, and traditions would be different and families do grow.



So instead of waking at dawn to open presents we waited until 10:30-- and instead of going to Christmas dinner we had Brian, Krista, Ryland, Toni and Nicholas over for afternoon dessert.
And now? Amanda and Corey are off to eat another meal, Mike and Christopher are in the garage installing a birthday radio... and I am going to sit down and read a new book I got for Christmas "Life Artist".


No comments: